Monsignor William Lynn, the former Philadelphia Archdiocese official convicted of child endangerment for failing to prevent other priests from sexually abusing children, will remain in jail for the foreseeable future.
Lynn’s attorneys tried and failed to get their client out on bail pending his appeal in the case. Attorney Jeff Lindy says Judge Teresa Sarmina really wasn’t inclined to give his client any degree of freedom during the appeal process. continue reading »
The first U.S. church official convicted for his handling of sexual abuse allegations against other priests, has been sentenced to three to six years in prison.
The punishment was handed down today in Philadelphia to Monsignor William Lynn, the former secretary for clergy at Philadelphia Archdiocese.
Lynn was criticized for not doing more to stop abusive priests and last month a jury convicted the 61-year-old of felony endangerment.
Lynn’s lawyer Thomas Bergstrom is questioning the sentence.
Read the rest of this story from our partners at NewsWorks.org.
A Philadelphia judge has denied Monsignor William Lynn‘s request to be confined to house arrest while awaiting sentencing.
Lynn was denied bail after his conviction June 22 on charges of endangering the welfare of children. He’s the first Catholic church official convicted for failing to protect kids from sexually abusive priests. continue reading »
Monsignor William Lynn was found guilty Friday of one count of child endangerment after being named last year in a grand jury report for allegedly helping to reassign Philadelphia priests accused of child molestation. The jury was hung on charges for Fr. James Brennan, former of St. Jerome’s parish in Holme Circle [NewsWorks].
continue reading »
A 32-year-old man who now lives in Phoenix is suing a former priest from Resurrection of Our Lord parish.
Robert Brennan was removed from the ministry in 2005 following his inclusion on a grand jury report about sexual abuse by priests. The suit also names Cardinals Justin Rigali and Anthony Bevilacqua and Msgr. William Lynn as defendants. continue reading »
John Doe, courtesy of CBS3
A second man has filed a lawsuit against a former Our Lady of Calvary priest, claiming the priest sexual abused him. Lawyers for the man announced the suit yesterday, which also names cardinals Justin Rigali and Anthony Bevilacqua, Monsignor William Lynn and employees of the Archdiocese’s victim assistance office. continue reading »
Phillip Gaughan says he was abused by a priest in the '90s. Photo by CBS3.
A Delaware man who grew up in the Northeast has accused his former priest at Our Lady of Calvary church of abusing him when he was a student there.
continue reading »
This post has been updated to include the letter that was sent hom to parents of St. Jerome students yesterday.
Three priests with connections to St. Jerome Parish in Winchester Park and one former teacher have been charged with various counts of rape, indecent exposure and sexual assault.
District Attorney Seth Williams has charged Fathers Edward Avery, 68, Charles Engelhardt, 64, and James Brennan, 47, and former teacher Bernard Shero, 48, with rape and indecent sexual assault. continue reading »